What Is an Orthopedic Specialist and How Can They Help You?
If you’re dealing with any kind of back or joint pain, an orthopedic specialist can help you determine what the pain stems from and the best way to alleviate the issues. Your treatment plan might include physical therapy, surgery, or various lifestyle changes. If you’ve never been to an orthopedic specialist, you might have questions about what to expect during a visit and what the treatment might entail.
What Does An Orthopedic Specialist Do?
An orthopedic specialist is a physician who specializes in orthopedics. Your specialist will assess your specific case. This might include taking or reviewing x-rays and completing a number of tests to best assess your overall health. Orthopedic injuries might include back and neck pain, sports related injuries, or issues such as carpal tunnel. Your orthopedic doctor assesses the injuries to find out which bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments have been impacted and to what extent.
Often your first office visit will include a complete evaluation and your orthopedic specialist will ask a number of questions about the pain and different lifestyle assessments. Some issues, such as neck pain, can be a simple matter of adjusting posture during routine activities like typing. Though often patients will need additional help in healing. The orthopedic specialist can determine the severity of your injury and offer a plan for healing.
Plan for Orthopedic Treatment
Orthopedic specialists will determine your recovery plan based on your specific needs. Some possible regimens to aid in recovery include:
- Surgery. In some cases, surgery is necessary to correct the issue and prevent further damage.
- Physical Therapy. Physical therapy can be recommended to help patients recover better use of the damaged area and improve healing.
- Exercise. Exercises can be specifically designed to aid in recovery and strengthen the body to prevent re-injury.
- Medication. Many patients find that pain and other medications can aid in recovery. Your orthopedic specialist might prescribe pain relievers or muscle relaxers to help combat the pain while working with methods to aid in healing.
- Massage/Acupuncture. Massage and acupuncture can both be useful in encouraging the body to heal and diminishing pain.
If you’re looking for orthopedic surgeons in Jacksonville, Fl, the Southeast Orthopedic Specialists can work with you to find the best course of treatment designed with your own needs in mind.